How can you help control CINV?
Try these tips in addition to the therapies provided by your cancer care team for chemotherapy induced nausea and vomiting:
- Eat bland, easy to digest foods like crackers, toast and gelatin
- Eat 5–6 small meals throughout the day
- Do not consume food or drink that is hot or cold, consume them as warm or cool
- Eat or suck on popsicles or ice chips
- Stay away from foods with strong smells such as onions, garlic, fish, etc.
- Use plastic flatware and dishes to avoid metallic tastes
- Relax before and after treatment. Meditate, do deep breathing exercises, visualize peaceful scenes and experiences, or engage in quiet hobbies.
- Distract yourself when you feel nauseous with TV, friends, or music.
- Sit upright for at least 1 hour after each meal.
If you cannot control your symptoms using the tips above, consult your cancer care team to develop a CINV management plan that will work for you.
Citations: Cancer.org & cancer.gov